Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Have you ever...

Have you ever done that thing where you think about exactly what you were doing at this time one year ago? I do that kind of alot and I can't believe how much a person can change in one year. For instance... last year I was a senior in high school, planning my prom night. I was so focused on the fact that I was getting out of high school forever and that next I would be headed off to college where I'd be free to do whatever I want and I'd finally be an "adult." I thought that my job at kroger wouldnt last till the beginning of summer, I figured I'd get to work at starbucks or best buy. I thought my friends would always keep in touch, always have this closeness we always had... and lastly I thought I was in love with an amazing guy.

Isn't it funny how naive people are?

Now here I am a freshman in college... thinking that I should've taken a year off like I wanted to. Wishing I could be home with my family I once thought I could live without seeing everyday... and I'm in a new relationship and only have 3 friends here at college while my high school friends are off in different areas of Indiana and Ohio.

I thought it was so complicated in high school... that college would be this great freedom and now here I am feeling like I'm trapped. Irony works in mysterious ways huh? lol

It's not that I don't like college... it has it's perks for sure I just now think that I would be more apt to accept college if I had stayed home a year and just worked like I wanted to. But had I done that, I probably would've still been stuck at kroger-hating my job, my boyfriend would've still cheated on me, and my friends still would've left for college without me. So ... was this really the better road? I don't know ...

~Jenny

Oh ps I'm sorry but it's bad weather right now and that means I have way too much time to sit in my dorm and think about life and such lol

4 comments:

Marcus said...

Well, you can't go back in time -- only forward. I think taking a year off now would be a mistake. "You got to roll-- with the punches to get to what's real"+

or to quote another band, "If you're going to die, die with your boots on", from Iron Maiden meaning die trying, fighting.

+ Van Halen, "Jump"

sunsearcher said...

Have you seen the movie "little miss sunshine?" One of the messages in the film is to accept sufferings as growth, for without suffering is only stagnation. without suffering we would never appreciate the best days of our lives like last year when you were on top of the world as you should have been. It is a growth year. In 3 years you can look back on this blog and see your maturation! Trust me, once you were a little girl flaling herself on the floor because "Aunt Bethie got a pretty dress and not me." June 16, ~1992

Beth said...

Miss Jenny-

I have this posted over my laptop at work. I need it there too! No matter how old you are or where you are in life you will have tough days but they do pass. I hope this encourages you. And the next time a great band like switchfoot comes to purdue let me know I will take you!
Your rockin Aunt Beth :):)


ATTITUDE
by: Charles Swindoll

The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life.

Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home.

The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.

And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes.

Ana said...

Hey girlie

I am so proud of you! You worked through this year and even though it was really tough, its over, you know? Next year will start and you will know what to expect. That way you can make your own fun surprises! and dont forget those IU PU games lol.

I hope that your finals go well and wish me the same so we cane get &^%* outta here! lol LOVE YOU JEN!